If you missed part one, check it out here.
After repainting our front door, from cobalt blue to a rich olive-y green, I set to work on our shutters, which were also cobalt blue.
Steve’s job was to get on the ladder and take them all down — not an easy task for someone who is afraid of heights! He took the first half down one day in late summer, and started being attacked by wasps, so he had to stop. Then, when he was taking the second batch down, he encountered two bats sleeping on the back of the shutters. Compared to that, repainting them was a breeze.
I washed them thoroughly, first with the hose and then with a scrub brush. Then I gave them a light sand, primed them with Kilz, gave them one coat of paint on the back (to protect them from damage from the elements) and two coats on the front. The color I used is Artichoke Leaf by Glidden, in a satin finish.
I’m so happy with how they came out, and how well they complement the door color. And, I think it will look equally as good with spring and summer flowers or fall decor as it does with Christmas greenery.
In addition to painting the door and shutters, we had the roof over the front door repaired and placed copper caps on the ends of the supports. We also took off the bird-house house numbers sign that had hung by the side door when we moved in, and put modern black house numbers over the front door. I love how much those simple changes modernized the house! It still looks like a classic Dutch colonial, but so much more sharp and clean.
I’m not sure the before and afters are a fair comparison considering that the first one was taken in the bright, cheery days of late summer and the second one was a few weeks ago in the cold, dreary days of early winter! I’ll share more photos when everything is beautiful and green this spring!
Next summer we want to continue sprucing up the outside of the house, starting with replacing the light fixtures near both front doors, installing new doorbells, and figuring out why our hydrangeas refuse to bloom! Stay tuned.